The morning was cool and crisp with temperatures in the low 30's. I struggled getting Sean out of bed. He was changing his mind about wanting to run with me. We got to the race and the sun was shinning and their was quite a bit of participation, so I was confident, well maybe not 100% confident, but confident none the less that I could meet my goal. I have been wanting to break 23 minutes but of course that couldn't be my only goal. Considering this course is "the fastest course in Williamsburg" I knew I had to push it up a notch. I figured if I was under 22:50 I would be pleased.I started strong, knowing that is the only way I work. My first mile was just over 7 minutes at 7:01. My body stayed strong, and my legs didn't let me down. The second and third mile were a little bit slower, at (I think) 7:23 and 7:20, but not bad considering I usually slow down much more. The last tenth of a mile I knew I had done it and although didn't have a lot left kicked it up a notch. I ended up with a final time of 22:38!
I have been waiting the entire running season to get a time under 23 minutes. I was hesitant that it wasn't going to happen. With the last race of the Colonial Road Runner season I had been putting in extra time at the gym and pushing myself extra hard during interval training. My buddy Jami gave me a final training workout this past Wednesday, and that may have sealed the deal.
I ended up being first in my age group and got a really cool dream catcher as my award. The race proceeds went to the non-profit group Dream Catchers, so it was only fit to have a dream catcher as our award. Jami was 2nd overall. She kicked butt with a time of 19:21, 35 seconds off her PR! It must be her new racing flats that she got. As you can tell from all my posts Jami is my running inspiration. One day I hope to be just like her, good work Jami!
Sean and Ryan (Jami's Fiance) both raced as well and did really well. Hopefully we can get them to continue doing more races with us even though they aren't quite the addicts as we are.
I'm now off to take a nap since we're meeting friends for dinner and a comedy show tonight. Should be a lot of fun!
4 comments:
Great job Tricia - I'm so proud of you!
Congrats, Tricia!!
Yeah - I knew you would get there eventually.Great job!
Congrats, Trisha. YOU ROCK, GIRL! ... and pass our congrats to Sean too. Love, Dennis & Nancy
Post a Comment