We arrived at the race site a few hours before the race began. We went and got our race packets and found our friends to visit with before the start. Since this race was a pool swim, everyone started 15 sec. after one another. Therefore even though the official race started at 10:00, Sean and I didn't start until after 11, which by the way was after the winner had already finished the race.

Sean, Sonny and I before the race!
Sean started about 3 minutes before I did. Last year he ended up right behind me, and I didn't want him "grabbing" my toes this year, so I gave my 100 yard time 1 second slower than his.

Sean getting ready!
Before we start the swim we stand in line in order of our start time. This always gets me excited, but also makes me a little nervous. Luckily the people I started near were really friendly and we talked before the race started.

Standing in line.
Finally it was my turn to start. I get in the water and have 15 seconds before I'm given the go ahead. I was really nervous at this point.

Getting ready to start!
After the swim we went right to the bikes, because of the cool temperatures, Sean and I both opted to throw on a jacket for the ride.

Sean starts the bike portion.
You are not allowed to mount your bike until you are passed the "bike mount" area. I was a little nervous due to the fact that I had decided to use my new pedals.

I get ready to mount my bike.
I opted for mounting my bike and clipping in as I pedaled. That seemed to work well during my practice ride a few days before the race. Unfortunately I hadn't accounted for all of the mud that ended up getting stuck in my shoes from the transition area. I tried to clip in multiple times, but eventually gave up and just rode the 10 miles without clipping in....so frustrating!

On my bike.
After the ride comes the run. A 5k run, not so bad.

Sean racks his bike and gets ready to run.

And off he goes!

I'm back racking my bike getting ready to go run.

And off I go!
After the run we're done! We finish back near the transition area which makes it great for spectators. They only need to stand in one area.

Sean finishes up the Tri.

Yay! I'm done!
After race we enjoyed pulled pork BBQ, mac & cheese and visiting with friends. Even though it was a little chilly the sun kept us warm and we weren't too cold.
Overall Sean had an awesome race and my race wasn't that great. I had slacked on my training these last few weeks, I hadn't gotten in the pool in over two weeks, I raced the Half Marathon a week before, but no speed work training, and although I got on the bike trainer about once a week, I hadn't gone outside and gone for a nice long ride, oh yeah, and my pedals didn't clip in.
Sean had been really consistent with his training, he was swimming at least twice a week throughout the entire winter, went to intervals a few times for speedwork, plus was running at least two or three times a week, 7 or so miles at a time, and he had taken his bike out on at least 5 or so rides.
I guess training really does pay off. Our next triathlon is two months away, the end of May. Hopefully with the nice weather they are predicting Sean and I will both be able to get out and train some more.
My race didn't go exactly as I had planned, but I'm not discouraged, because it's racing season, and racing season makes me happy!


0 comments:
Post a Comment