In 2008 Sean and I ran this race together and he proposed at the finish, so it's our special race even if he won't run it with me again. He supports me by being my biggest fan and race photographer!
The race started at 7 am in Virginia Beach, so we got up about 3:45 and started our day closer to when most of the world was going to bed as opposed to getting up.
We got down to the race area a little after 6. We had time to use the bathroom, get my race gear on and walk to the start.
Once we got to the start I only had about 5-10 minutes until the start. I gave Sean a kiss and he went to find a good spot to take photos while I got into my corral and found my friend Emily to chat with before the race.
Once the race started the adrenaline kicked in and I started out too fast, but what's new. I have been sick with an awful cough and didn't want to push it, plus I hadn't trained well. Today's goal was to have fun and run the entire race. Not a goal I usually have with myself, but I really wanted to take care of myself, especially since I have my first triathlon on Saturday, The Smithfield Triathlon.
The race ended up being much warmer than previous years, probably by 20 degrees. I was over dressed and really should have worn a tank top and shorts. I found myself drinking two waters at every water stop and dumping a third water on my head to cool myself down. It worked to make me feel refreshed.
My friend Caroline is a college friend that I haven't seen in 7 years. We've re-connected through technology and our common interest in running races and triathlons. She came down from Northern Virginia to race, so we made sure to catch up. It was so much fun!
After the race I got into dry clothes. I was so excited to get a finisher's t-shirt, a hat and a medal. I'm all about the recognition.Once I was dry it was time to go and watch the marathoners.

2 comments:
Great Job! So sorry I couldn't be there to cheer you guys on! I will make a few races this year I'm sure!!
Awesome job as usual! Cute outfit too - love the arm warmers (hehe) and those striped tights are sweet!
Post a Comment