Sunday, August 9, 2009

Vineyard 5K and Bowling

Sean and I participated in the Vineyard 5K yesterday evening. With temperatures in the high 80's at race start time of 7 pm we made sure to stay hydrated all day. Well I stay hydrated, Sean just drank extra beer. This was our second 5K since the wedding, and I really wanted to do well. Usually the local 5K's bring out a little over 100 participants, maybe up to 130 or so. This one had well over 500 participants, probably close to 600. It was a great chance to support a local charity CDR.

We arrived early as I always like to do, and met up with Melissa, Cindy and Glenda, some of my old Virginia Gazette co-workers. It was nice to see them, although we didn't have much time to catch up before the race. We figured we'd have time afterwards, that didn't happen, I'll explain in a bit.

It was hot, but we both ended up with times faster than the last time we ran the race, which was 2 years ago. Although not our best times, considering the heat, we were pleased.

Here I come, speeding in with my fun blue shoes!

Sean speeding to the finish!

After the race we enjoyed our free food from Carrabbas and ice cream from Ben & Jerry's. It was great to have such great sponsors at the race.

Apparently the humidity was high, because all of a sudden it started pouring and the rain came down like no tomorrow. At first it felt good, but then there wasn't any place to go. We hung out under a tree trying to shield ourselves from the rain, but after seeing lightning and hearing some thunder Sean told me he'd get the car and bring it closer.

The organizers were trying to stay positive and started calling out the numbers for the auction items. Everyone's raffle tickets were soaking wet and they really weren't legible. I no longer cared to stay. Sean came back and I had to go grab our fleece blanket that of course was where I left it, and being fleece it was heavy and soaking wet.

Sean went to the car and I told him I'd meet him there. I decided to take a short cut down a hill and ended up going through mud, that was like quick sand. I got stuck up to my knees and couldn't move. I had to pry my feet out of my flip-flops and then reach my arm into the mud to get them out. I found the left one really easy, but the right one was lost, I eventually found it after digging. It didn't help that it smelt like sewage and I was carrying a heavy, wet fleece blanket. I got back to the car and was covered in mud, so I put my hand on the ground and "cleaned" off in some of the puddles. Sean was laughing at me, of course and I was anxious to get home and showered.

I never found out if I placed or not, and I'm still anxiously waiting for the results to be posted, I'll keep everyone updated.

After getting home and showering we went bowling with our friend Emily for her birthday. I hadn't been bowling in so long and I realize I should do it more often, it was a lot of fun!

Sean tries to show off

I have mad bowling skills too!

2 comments:

Amie said...

Sounds like a fun weekend!!

Deb said...

Too bad you don't have "MUD" pictures to share. Reminds me of the Mud Song you used to sing as a child.